Do I have to notify the Pension Fund of marriage, cohabitation or divorce?

  • The Pension Fund is notified automatically

    If you live in the Netherlands, the Municipality notifies the Pension Fund automatically in the event of your marriage or if you enter into a legally registered partnership. This is also the case should you divorce or terminate your registered partnership.

  • You are required to notify the Pension Fund yourself

    There are also situations in which you are required to notify the Pension Fund yourself about changes in your relationship. This is the case when, for example, you start living together with a partner, or when you decide to end such cohabitation.

    And if you live abroad, you are also required to notify the Pension Fund about any changes in your relationship yourself.

Partner's pension

Changes in your relationship may give rise to new entitlements to a partner’s pension, or current entitlements to a partner’s pension may change. The exact consequences depend on the Regulations applicable to your situation.

It is best to contact the Pension Fund for more details in this regard. The staff of the Pension Administration and Information department can access your pension records and will be pleased to give you personal information.

Pension settlement

In the event that your relationship ends, it is possible that the Pension Settlement (Divorce) Act is applicable. If this is the case, your retirement pension will be lower when your relationship is terminated. It will be reduced by the share of the retirement pension to which your former partner is entitled according to the law or according to the agreed settlement.

If the retirement pension is to be shared, the Pension Fund pays the respective shares of the retirement pension directly to the former partners from the separation date. The Pension Fund must therefore receive notification of this settlement.

A statutory (Dutch only) form from the Ministry of Justice titled: 'Mededeling van scheiding in verband met verdeling van ouderdomspensioen' (Announcement of divorce in regards to apportionment of retirement pension) is available to that end. Your ex-partner is required to complete and submit this form to the Pension Fund. You can download a copy of this form via the link below.

In addition, the Ministry of Justice has published a (Dutch only) brochure on this subject titled‘Verdeling van ouderdomspensioen bij echtscheiding’ (Apportionment of retirement pension in the event of divorce). This brochure is available via the link below.

You can also obtain the brochure and the form that your ex-partner is required by law to complete from the website of the 'Rijksoverheid' (National Government), please enter the search words "verdeling ouderdomspensioen".

More in Changes in your work situation or private life

New employer

If you have left Shell employment to work for a new employer, you might want to transfer your pension entitlements from Shell to that new employer.